Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Fredonia Symphonic Adventure! - 2012

Emotionally exhausted.  Physically drained.  Mentally challenged. All 3 seep in as I sit here in Terminal 5 awaiting to board a plane to London, for the beginning of a 4-week tour through Scandinavia, Europe, & China.    The result of one of the most rewarding experiences in life thus far.  The seed was planted over 8 years ago, with the last 4 years spent writing a symphony, and the last 2 years spent searching for anyone that would listen.
So where shall I start?   Everyone has dreams and epiphanies...right?  Everyone is on a mission…right?   So big deal.  I love classical music.  I didn’t know I loved it until it found me 8 years ago.  I’m not trying to change the world.  Break down a few walls?  Sure!  Everyone wants to be a hero…right?
I’ll take you to the end.  Or is it the beginning?  To the moment.  The moment I couldn’t hold back any longer.  The moment I sometimes envisioned while driving in my car listening to midi music.  The moment time slowed down.  The moment no one was watching.   I stood.  I watched.  I closed my eyes.  I listened.  I felt.  With every emphatic trust of Andre Lousada’s baton, roared a majestic brass section, bringing the Curse the Cross & the Lion to life.
From the control room, Erik Wofford had asked Andre to run movement 1, one last time without stopping, and that would be it.  This was the first piece I wrote.  My baby.  My homage to the greats that came before me.  This was the 6 minutes of Heaven, that made the previous 8 years worth every second. I choked up.   The timpani struck thunder down my spine, leaving my soul helpless.
And I know the journey is not even close to over.  But this IS the beginning.   Honestly, I’m very happy for myself.  I’ve been telling people about this for years!  It feels great to see the steps on the ladder.  And sure, there were a lot of people who said I couldn’t do it.  But there were many more that said I could and encouraged me.  This is for them.  This is for God.  This is for my son.  Lesson of the decade?  Be the vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment